Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Expedition Reflection Essay for ELA -Jissette

My experience in completing BCS's first expedition on cancer is a good one. I learned a lot about difference cancers and what they do to your body. Before this I don't think I had any specific knowledge about cancer, only that it grew as a tumor and that it could be lethal. I learned a lot about cancer in my other subjects besides science. I also learned about the different types of cancers that the people from Hiroshima contracted and Japan in general. We read about personal experiences with cancer, and even had different people who has battled cancer come talk to us. There were some types of cancers that I haven't even heard of.
If i were to continue this expedition, I would probably want to see a virtual display of what actually happens in your body when you get cancer, or help fundraise for cancer victims. I would want to help find a cure for cancer and talk to more people about how it affected their lives an their family. I'd like to get to understand their feelings and help them through it.
When we went on the trip to the Department of Health Library, honestly, I thought that it was a waste of time because we didn't research, we only tried to find books in a coded system. But when we went to the Manhattan Public Library, I got a lot of research done from the book "Cancer Sourcebook". It explained a lot about the different types of cancer, and I focused myself with Non-Hodgkin's cancer. Next year, I'd like to learn about a different type of cancer, maybe breast cancer or an OB/GYN cancer.
This expedition was definitely a good learning experience for us because we learned about different causes and found how they occur in the body.
I think with this expedition we will really impress the community with how much dedication we put into researching this topic. I think that the younger grades will be impressed as well with the different types of displays, and the amount of work that we put into making this expedition.

No comments: